Monday, April 24, 2006

The Parlor

" 'You are the lady of the house. Every mistress of a household has her parlour. . .Your temperament, my dear, is reflective, as mine is, and as you grow older you will increasingly need somewhere to go when you wish to be private. I suggest that the younger children and myself enter this room only with your permission'. . . Something inside her seemed to expand like a flower opening and she sighed with relief. She had not known before that she liked to be alone. She sat still for ten minutes, making friends with her room. . ."

--Eileen Goudge, Linnets and Valerians.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I love this quote! Can I just point out though, the author is Elizabeth Goudge, not Eileen. Sorry to be pedantic :o) but if someone was trying to look it up they may get confused. . .

good_to_be_home said...

I love this quote!

Related Posts with Thumbnails