Thursday, June 15, 2006

Cucumbers in Rice Vinegar

I have stumbled on one of those dishes that is far more than the sum of its parts, and takes thirty seconds to throw together:

Slice cucumbers.
Add salt (maybe 1/2 t. to every three medium-sized cukes).
Add rice vinegar (must be rice vinegar; find it in the Asian foods aisle) not to cover, but maybe a third of the way up.

Refrigerate all day or, preferably, overnight, and maybe toss them once in the morning. These are perfect--not too sour, not too sweet, they don't taste like vinegar, and they're better than any fussy fridge pickle recipe. Trust me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm...I've loved cucumber salad since I was a child, but was always made it with plain old white vinegar. I'll have to try it with rice vinegar sometime.

Anonymous said...

We enjoy it with some additions. We add a little sugar and also some roasted sesame seeds.

Anonymous said...

I remember there are more than one types of rice vinegar at my store. Is yours the regular rice vinegar or was it the seasoned rice vinegar.

Sounds good to me!

Kelli said...

I got some cucumbers at the farmer's market this weekend to try this recipe out on. It sounds really good! Thanks for sharing.
Kelli

Related Posts with Thumbnails