Thursday, June 01, 2006

Lunch with Nanny

My grandmother has been on my mind the last few days: I've been thinking about her immaculate housekeeping, the crocheted dining-room tablecloth my uncle bought her when he was stationed in Korea, her quilts stretched for quilting in a frame beside the east window, the set of walnut furniture in her guest bedroom, the oil painting of hydrangeas on her wall.

Daisy and I had a free morning today so picked her up from her retirement apartment for errands and lunch. She was so delightful--she bought a sparkly flowered t-shirt at Penney's which I had thought was twenty years too young for me (guess I was wrong), and started talking about getting a giant hamburger at 10:30, which, in a leap into senior daytiming, we did! And ate it all, too, even Daisy!

With her 92nd birthday coming up in August, we treasure every hamburger with her.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails