Thursday, October 12, 2006

Schoolhouse Chocolate Sauce

This chocolate sauce is a useful one for various reasons: the ingredients are always convenient to hand, it's dairy-free, it whips up in a very few minutes, and it keeps well. Unlike a fancier fudge sauce that involves cream, butter, and a candy thermometer, this is a low-stress chocolate fix.

Keep on hand for topping ice cream at night, or for making individual mugs of cocoa in the morning as sleepy children stumble into the kitchen looking for something warm to drink (one tablespoon per mug of heated milk, stir well).

*Schoolhouse Chocolate Sauce*

Mix:

2 c. sugar
dash of salt
1 c. unsweetened cocoa

in saucepan.

Stir in:

1 c. cold water.

While stirring, bring to boil over medium heat. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer for five minutes. Take off heat and enjoy--be sure to store it covered.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate is a *Must* at our house.
Thank you!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Yumm...

I'm giving this recipe to my daughter. She is like me, when she has the time she enjoys making such things from scratch.

Kelli said...

YUM! I've been looking for a homemade hot chocolate mix. I'm going to try this!
Thank you!
Kelli

Kimberly said...

I'm not sure I'd have any left to store! It sounds great. I thought I'll go make some up in a few minutes. I've got some little visitors headed over. I think they'd enjoy it!
~Kimberly

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying your blog so much that I decided to go back to the first entry to see what I've missed. While reading the Sept 2005 entries, I was surprised to see that there is a book titled "Maris". Our 6th child is named Maris. I used to work with a girl by that name and always loved it. I hopped over to Barnes and Noble.com and ordered a copy. Hope I enjoy the author as much as you do!
~Amy

Kimberly said...

I'm back! I mixed up the Schoolhouse Chocolate Sauce and it is WONDERFUL!! I'm looking forward to having some hot cocoa tonight! Thanks for posting so many wonderful things on your blog. You and The Sparrow's Nest inspired me to start my own blog. What fun!

Anonymous said...

Anna, I just wanted to thank you for this recipe. It is delicious! Using your recipe, I made hot cocoa for my girls this evening and topped it with whipped cream. We just loved it. This is the first recipe I have found that didn't tasted like bitter cocoa, but tasted like real chocolate. Thank you and thank you for one of my favorite blogs.

Janet

Related Posts with Thumbnails