Thursday, June 28, 2007

Strange Obsession

This pattern, vintage McCall's 8895, is my obsession. I'm not quite sure why it has taken over my mind, although it does contain instructions for *twenty-five* craft items perfect for selling at a bazaar.



Can I talk about them? There is a skate tote bag shaped like a big boot, done in calico on the cover. A record tote bag that holds ROUND records--do you just throw away the album cover??? A curler bag made up as a stuffed elephant. A rather frightening and massive clown-doll pajama bag. I love with a capital L the children's smock (did it in strawberries), so wonderful because it's cut all in one piece, plus a big pocket.



I do know where some of this is coming from--see that stuffed chicken? My grandmother made hundreds of stuffed chickens when I was little, not this exact pattern, but something a little stiffer and perkier. This pattern is tapping into my oldest memories.


However, I have a vacation to plan and pack for, groceries to get, girls who need glasses, and a house that must be tended, so I'm definitely stopping after the frog beanbag. Although I believe Clara is going to actually need the owl-applique eyeglasses case, so maybe I should squeak that one in . . . .

9 comments:

Davene said...

Happy sewing! And have a wonderful vacation!!!

Lady Dorothy said...

Ooooo! Ooooo! Ooooo! I had a frog bean bag and the clown pajama bag! LOL What an absolutely fun pattern!

Tracy said...

I've seen them all before, but I went hrough every one of your sewing posts again yesterday. Trying to catch glimpses of Lucille. I FINALLY made my own dress form. I'll call her Charlotte because her stand of PVC pipe has Charlotte Pipe stamped on it!

I found this to be more difficult than the directions lead one to believe. When it was cut off of me and taped back together it was MUCH larger than me. I took my measurements, and overlapped the cut edge where necessary to fix the problem. She looks great now. Thanks for the inspiration, Anna!

Elisabeth Black said...

So many projects, so little time.

Carrie J said...

I have this same pattern somewhere. You are right about the clown. He is a little creepy.

Jordan Boesch said...

I have been a lurker for a while, and I had a question! I saw that you've made the teddy bear from Debbie Bliss's "Simply Baby" book, and I'm making it now. I had a question about increasing in the body section and was wondering if you had any help you could offer.

Thanks! :)

Jordan

Jordan Boesch said...

Oops! I forgot my email!

myladypatriot{at}gmail{dot}com

Thanks!

Kimberly Lottman said...

My mother had this very pattern when I was little. I had the drawstring toy tote in my bedroom for awhile, though I remember stuffing it so full of toys that over time the seams ripped.

My mother made several of the chickens as gifts, and one for herself which she used as a very large pin cushion. I even remember the print, blue with tiny yellow flowers.

This post brought back a lot of memories. I'm going to be on the lookout for this pattern myself, where do you find your vintage patterns?

Kim

harmonious1 said...

I have this pattern and feel the same strange obsession! The instruction sheets to mine have been long lost. I don't suppose it would be too hard to figure out how to put these things together, but if you ever get the urge to scan the instructions, I will be very grateful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails