Friday, October 03, 2008

Vintage Baby Sacque and Bonnet


I had so much fun creating this little baby jacket and bonnet, thinking how perfect it would be for a little strawberry blonde baby, or one with striking brown eyes.


Fortune favored me with a never-used thrifted tablecloth (early 1960s?) in these fun and slightly funky oranges, golds, and browns.


I fiddled around with the pattern layout, wanting to catch the best designs on the best part of the jacket.


Or course, because this is a 1940's pattern, there's a pointed yoke overlay over a deep inverted pleat (sigh). The jacket ties closed with brown velvet ribbon.


There was plenty of fabric for a little matching bonnet, which ties under the chin with the same ribbon, and is lined with the softest white cotton voile.

If you know the young lady who needs this ensemble, you can visit the shop.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. You are so crafty. I am a big fan of making something maybe not used so much anymore and making it into something completely new and usable once again. Very cool.
Have a good day.
Salina

Melissa said...

Gorgeous!!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Oh my, this is delicious! I love every last detail. Yum!

Katie said...

Oh my, that is one of the most precious things I have ever seen! The fabric is unbelievable, as well as the brown velvet ties. I wish Amelia was still small enough to fit in that, and I wish I knew if this was a girl or boy I am carrying now. I have several vintage sets like this that I used on Amelia. This is extraordinary! Someone's little lamb is going to be awfully lucky...and cute! ;o)

Sandy said...

I'm headed over RIGHT now! My strawberry blonde turns 1 this week!

Katrina said...

This is simply beautiful! LOVE.IT.
I wish I had a baby girl... I'd buy it right now!
The pictures are perfect, Anna, you're so talented.

Katrina

Siân said...

Just lovely!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the cutest things you've ever shown us....very inventive use of that tablecloth, & I think the pattern really showcased the flowers perfectly. Beautiful!

Brenda

On Second Street said...

Makes me want a little brown eyed girl.

Lady Farmer said...

I can think of nothing that is more rewarding than sewing for a wee precious babe even if it is not your own!

Related Posts with Thumbnails