Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cheating on Giles


Well, it feels like I'm cheating on Giles, but I've moved my sewing machine into his bedroom for the winter. My sewing room through the year is a lot like an enclosed porch--lots of oneness with the outside temperature, you know. And it's not well-lit. So middle of the day sewing on a mild day is very pleasant, but evening sewing is almost impossible in there.



But Giles' room! In the evening I draw the fake curtains (just lengths of polka-dot yardage draped over the rod, since Giles likes his windows bare), crank up the heat, turn on the lamp, and get cosy. Daisy comes in and takes up residence in the empty closet. When she lives there she uses a fancy voice, and of course there's lots of visiting back and forth. Which makes things even cosier.


I've hung a gabardine skirt for Clara in one window to let the bias stretch before I hem it. It casts a green glow over an already green room.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm green with envy.

;)

Serena said...

The color of the walls is absolutely beautiful. It's rather similar to my kitchen, actually.

Connie said...

The green of spring . . . hope . . . beautiful.

Mrs. Hurzeler said...

I am having jadeite jealousy. I have only one lone jadeite soup bowl or chili bowl that I found for a dollar at a thrift store a year or so ago. By chance do you know if anyone makes any milkglass or jadeite new? I am not a stickler! Thanks. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

O please tell us what color and brand of paint that is on the wall. Lovely!!

G said...

I see you are enjoying my room!

Rose said...

Oh Anna! I think you have been caught out! :-O
Cheers,
Rose

Chris said...

So pretty! I love green. And I love the wood paneled walls (not sure if that's what you would actually call them!) of your rooms. You seem to have such a beautiful decorating style - simple, classic, very tasteful.
(Chris in MI)

The Hobbit said...

Can't wait to see what you are inspired to create in your new surroundings.Change is good even if temporary.Enjoy while you can.

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Thanks for a peek.

Kelly Sauer said...

so soft, so lovely.

Jen said...

Love the green. I wish spring would get here!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a cheerful bright place to sew and
changes tend to motivate us. A beautiful color.

Anonymous said...

Love the colors!

- Gilda

Elisabeth Black said...

How curious; I think I just used that same "faux-curtain" fabric in an apron... that I blogged about today! You have excellent taste. :)

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Your photography skills are just about as good as your sewing!

Anonymous said...

My sweet grandmother, Odessa, had several coffee cups like this one. I had forgotten about them, but seeing yours makes me pine for her winsome smile, warm pound cake and lovely little bedroom where her sewing machine rarely sat idle. I always knew to be careful there as pins and needles were often found by little feet. I loved my Mama. Thanks for the sweet memory. Just one more gift from visiting your sweet blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails