Saturday, September 25, 2010

At the Motor Inn


The Composer and I were off on an overnight bat. We calculated that it had been seven years since we had gone off alone, (alone meaning without any children). Not counting one overnight where we ran a half-marathon, which wasn't romantic.


So for romance, we chose a straight-out-of-the-fifties motor inn which prided itself on its closeness to a nine-hole golf course. I loved that each of the twenty rooms had its own sitting bench on the walkway, so that every guest had the opportunity to sit and look at the golf course. We got out and played our nine holes the first evening, and the course was absolutely empty except for the bluebirds closing up shop for the night, flying back and forth over the greens.

I hadn't hit a golf ball in twenty years, but so what? It was quiet and beautiful and the fencerows were overgrown with reddening sumac.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by an overnight "bat"?

melissa said...

What fun, and such a beautiful setting. We're coming up for 7 years without such a treat, perhaps it's time! :-D

Lisa said...

Bluebirds flying over the golf course! Lovely! I still haven't seen a bluebird. Glad you had such a nice time.

Lisateresa

Lynne in NC said...

Anna,
Oh that looks wonderful. I'm happy for you both for some couple time away. I'm sure the girls were A-OK at home 'alone'.
Hubby and I just returned from our first overnight together, sans children, in about 6 years. We made up for it by going away for 3 nights! It was a wonderful time to reconnect and renew ourselves.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Peace.

Kathryn said...

I can just picture the silent golf course and blue birds, sounds so refreshing and lovely!
We are planning a getaway this Spring for our 20 year anniversary. I hadn't thougth of a vintage motor inn...thinking of one now though!

Also, I thought of you yesterday as I found myself locked in a bidding war for some vintage pyrex bowls (minus the little blue one) he won as I would not go above the $20 they went for. I did get a vintage kettle, egg poacher, pie plates and knives for under $15.00, it was a good day!

Anna said...

Lynne, I wouldn't leave the girls home alone overnight just yet. Instead we asked a favorite friend over--she's a college sophomore and can drive!

walklet said...

I'm so glad you are back blogging! I just popped in to look for one of your quilts for inspiration.

angela said...

OH I just realized that you were posting again. I missed you!

B said...

This sounds lovely...

Related Posts with Thumbnails