Saturday, October 20, 2012

Rainy Last Day in Paris


Yes, it rained from morning til night, but we had our umbrellas. Off to the Luxembourg Gardens for the Saturday morning puppet show.


With a little stop to feed the mallards in the pond. 


The puppet theatre was charming, of course. Nothing has been done to it in decades, I'm sure, and it is ringed with a gallery of the puppets' portraits--slightly scary and off, of course, as those things are wont to be.

The best entertainment was watching the French children there.  Dressed in smoky dark colors, almost every one had swirly, messy hair and wide-spaced eyes.


Macarons for after lunch. From left to right we sampled rose, pistachio, bergamot, salted caramel, plum, and chocolate.


After lunch, a Metro trip to Montmartre and Sacre-Coeur. Ugh, the Metro on Saturday--we were packed like sardines. And frankly not that comfortable in Montmarte. Muttering crowds, aggressive street vendors, lots of police.


I was not well-informed and didn't know that Sacre-Coeur sat up on the hill like this! Daisy's been delighted by stairs this whole trip--loves to race us while we ride the escalator. even she was satisfied climbing up to the church.


 Lots of fabric shopping here, and Moline Mercerie looked like the place to beat! The prices aren't great but the wares are lovely.


Home for a last supper here of sausages, tiny green beans, and mashed potatoes (with our new potato masher!)--first course was another of those delicious canteloupes sliced and draped with slivers of leftover salami which I pretended was prosciutto. Dessert was one last walk to the sorbet shop--everyone chose Orchard Peach.

And now to pack for home! We're not as ready to return as we usually are at the end of a trip . . . .

17 comments:

Lucy said...

I have adored reading along with you on your lovely holiday! Thank you for sharing - I very much would like to take our two to Paris one day, and your posts have given me some ideas!

Pam said...

I have read your sweet blog off and on for some time. I am enjoying your trip to Paris so much. It is wonderful to see all your sights, and food and excursions. I feel as if I were there with you or reading a delightful book.
I was in Paris when I was 17 years old (I am 51 now; what is the math there? 34 years ago I think). It was a wonderful experience. My father was living in Germany at that time, and my brother as well. I stayed the summer with them, and we had many wonderful excursions, Paris being one of them.
Have a safe trip home.

Blessings,
Pam

Sheila said...

What a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing it with us! :)
I hope Bella got to spend her money on something fun. :)

Polly said...

I've loved every post, with all the delicious tidbits!!! Safe travels home.....

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing, Anna.

Lisateresa

Rose said...

Oh Anna it's been a joy to read along about your trip. I didn't know Sacre Coeur was on a hill either -- but I do now.

Safe trip home, I hope the westward journey doesn't mess up your body clocks too much. If I seem obsessed with jet lag, remember that I'm Australian, it's long haul to get practically anywhere. :)

seashoreknits said...

Your travelogue has brought back many happy memories of my one trip to Paris ten years or so ago. I simply loved Sacre Couer but we "cheated" and rode the little funicular up! I admire your tenacity in getting out and seeing so much every day - despite rainy weather and travel fatigue. You seemed to have made the very most of your week and I have absolutely armchair traveling with you! Prayers for a pleasant and safe journey home.

Anonymous said...

Daisy reminds me of Madeline in her blue coat in Paris! so lovely!

Annaoj Nurth said...

Ohh, I´m realy creasy fot those tiny green beans. I allways buy a stock of canes when we visit my parents-in-law in Lille,
Wish You a save trip home
XXX Joanna Maria

Lily said...

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us - it has been really lovely. I hope you have a safe journey home. Lily. xxx

Siân said...

LOve reading your blow by blow account of Paris - we are visiting family in the UK at Christmas and we've spent many a happy day in Paris - so fun! Loved your description of French Children!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have had a wonderful time in Paris!
~Blog Reader~

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Wonder what Christmas time is like in Paris! I just wonder if they decorate as much as we do here in the U.S.
Our friend is moving to Belgium in November. They will be there 1 or 2 years--what an experience that will be!

Caroline said...

Mmm, those macarons!

I'm so glad you're blogging from Pareeeee. :)

Erin said...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful trip here. I've been delighted all week to journey along with you. Such beauty. Even the rainy day is oozing with Paris charm.

Jodes said...

the photo of the two girls under the umbrella, Daisy leaning in to Bella, is just precious. I've enjoyed seeing the sights of Paris with your family!

Gillian said...

Those first two photos of Bella and Daisy are so charming.

I've so enjoyed revisiting Paris through your posts! I'd love to go back someday and spend more than two days in the city.

Related Posts with Thumbnails