Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Draping a Drapey Neckline


I'm working on vintage McCall's 3755 which has a beautiful neckline. The front drapes into soft pleats stitched into the shoulder seams, and there's a stay behind all that draping that looks that the top half of a normal bodice. 

Best of all, I will shortly be finding a lead weight and encasing it in a little fabric bag and attaching it by a thread chain to the bottom of the facing! I'll let you know how that goes. I don't have a lead weight but I do have a heavy little magnet that would work. But then I worry about it getting attaching to my underwire . . . .

13 comments:

Laura said...

Looks gorgeous, both vintage & modern at the same time!

Shayne said...

If you know a fisherman they sometimes use tiny lead weights that attach to the line; those might work in the place of a dangerously independently-minded magnet?

Saskia said...

You could also use a tiny fishing line sinker - they are made of lead and come in all types sizes.

maven said...

I used a small plumbing washer in a project once and it worked fine. Would that perhaps work for you? Also, I once did a jacket with a chain in the hem to assist with proper "hang".

Andrea R said...

you can also use a washer. :)

Lisa said...

Yeah, it might be better to use something else. How about a small piece of jewelry - ring, charm, earring from the thrift store?

Lisateresa

Lisa said...

I just noticed the fishing idea - that's better. It's going to look great!

Lisateresa

Margo said...

or you could use a magnet and have a hilarious jumping bodice that sticks to someone's watch or necklace when you hug her. . .

I love this neckline and how it goes into the pleats. Looks to be very flattering.

Anonymous said...

A penny or a dime, maybe?

cake said...

hmmm methinks a nice little flat washer from the hardware store?

Fiona Ferris said...

A magnet, now that could be amusing if you lean on something like a teaspoon and pick it up! Or if your necklace sticks to it... Beautiful dress, you are so clever.

Reinventing Mother said...

Your sewing amazes me! May I sit by your side and just watch?

Molly said...

Head to the fishing section of a hardware store and look for "sinkers" they are lead weights in varying sizes that hold the fishing line down in the water. They would work perfectly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails