Tuesday, February 24, 2015

If You Roast a Chicken Every Week

If you roast a chicken every week, you can make a nice pot of chicken stock every week. And if you make a nice pot of chicken stock every week, you can make soup for lunch--twice. Quick, convenient soups that don't take all morning

• Celeriac Soup •

Peel (with a vegetable peeler) and dice one celery root, any size. Put it in a quart of homemade chicken broth. Simmer until the celeraic is tender to the poke of a fork. Puree it, either with an immersion blender or by putting it in a real blender. Return it to the pot, and stir in 1/3 c. cream and (optional) about a half cup of white wine. Salt and pepper generously.


• Quick and Easy Vegetable Soup •

Put 2 T. olive oil in a soup pot, and turn the heat on. Dump in a package of frozen mirepoix mix (regular is fine: carrots, celery, onion, but I prefer Cajun: celery, onion, bell pepper). Add a crushed clove of garlic to the vegetables.

When they are translucent (give them about five minutes), add a can of crushed tomatoes, a quart of homemade chicken stock, and some good shakes of Worcestershire sauce (or use Pickapper--it has a parrot on the label!)

Let the soup simmer for half an hour or much longer. Thirty minutes before you want to eat it, add a package of frozen okra and a package of frozen green beans. Salt and pepper to taste before serving.

You can see that this soup has the virtue of requiring no chopping at all (I don't count crushing a garlic clove). It is also gluten and dairy-free, and fairly low in carbohydrates.

8 comments:

Leah Kua said...

I just had to leave a note :) Years ago in 2008 I discovered your beautiful blog and spirit behind it through some items your were selling on etsy. I fell in love with your outlook on life and the way you raised your family. Between living in Australia and going to school my whole life myself homeschooling never really entered my mind. But now, almost 7 years later that is exactly what my husband and I find ourselves doing, with joyful, grateful and expectant hearts. I found myself thinking of you again today after losing touch with your blog and after some searching I was so happy to find you here still sharing faithfully. Looking forward to catching up on all the posts I've missed. Thank you so much xx

Lucille said...

It's a regular system in our house. Sometimes the stock is pressed into service for risotto instead of soup.

Anna said...

Lucille, risotto is a worthy end for stock!

Leah, my very best wishes to your family as you enjoy each other at home! Thanks for the update!

Margo said...

Both sound good! I'm making and canning stock this week - we're running low because of all the soup we've been eating. I'm cooking chicken and dumplings for a family who needs a meal, and then I'll use that chicken carcass to make stock.

Farrah said...

I love your recipes. I frequently make your pumpkin soup. Sometime try roasted tomato instead of regular crushed. It adds something.

sherry said...

in my large crock pot are 2 carcasses, veggies, and herbs. bubbling away, creating THE most delish stock to be used in a few different ways. the house smells divine.

Kate Scott said...

I do this. Roast chicken one day, chicken biscuits and gravy another day, and then soup or stew with the remaining leftovers.

Heather said...

Picnic hams, roasting chickens and their respective broths are what get me through winter. Thanks for the recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails